Photographer, Makeup Artist, Hairdresser & Wardrobe Stylist
Shimona Henry can do what many dream of; a perfect example of teacher's pet gone wild...
Shimona specializes in vintage inspired make-up and hairstyling. Graduating at the top of her class with honors from the Makeup Design for Film and Television Program at Vancouver Film School (VFS) in 2006 was just the beginning of her immersion in to the beauty industry, lust for learning, and an ever growing skill set.
She founded her company Pin-up Perfection Photography after finding a love of all things vintage, portrait photography, a strong admiration for the artwork of painter Gil Elvgren (1914-1980), and seeing a much needed option for women of all shapes and sizes to experience a pinup photoshoot.
Shimona is a 'plus-sized' woman who grew up in the time before fashionable clothes were readily available in larger sizes. The body positivity movement via social media was non-existent (we're talking myspace days here) as the media portrayed beauty as anything but self love and acceptance. She noticed that most local beauty photographers websites at the time only showed images of professional models, making reaching out to book a session terrifying as a plus sized, non-model.
Shimona's vision for Pin-up Perfection Photography has always been to enhance women's self-esteem by providing them vintage inspired hair design, makeup artistry and wardrobe styling paired with perfected poses in a comfortable, safe and supportive environment! She has photographed thousands of women since 2006 and takes pride in creating a high level of comfortability during sessions and trust between herself and her client. Shimona wants to show ALL women how beautiful they are!!!
Her journey in to the photographic arts began in 2006 when she started posing women in the style of the 40's-60's iconic pinup girls when she wasn't doing makeup on set of films and music videos. She continues to flourish in creating imagery that is playful, tasteful, and sexy....invoking the timeless tease of the pinup for the modern girl!
...But she doesn't just do pinup! Dubbed the 'MacGuyver of Light', Shimona is no one-trick pony. Always making a shot work even in tough conditions, she loves to think outside the box when it comes to establishing mood and style within her creative location shoots in the genres of fetish, horror and fashion. She has also built a large photography portfolio capturing live music/band promo, music video stills, burlesque, baby births and other types of portraiture! She has had the pleasure to shoot with well-known pinup/fetish models and burlesque performers in Vancouver, and overseas, such as Elly Mayday, Mosh, Cherry Dollface and LouLou D'vil!
Working as a hairstylist, cutting and coloring at East Vanity Parlour came naturally after graduating (again, with honors at the top of her class and Student of the Year) from the Axis Hair Art Design program at John Casablancas Institute (2016). She provides hair and makeup from the salon Sunday through Tuesday as well as out of the photo-studio, and on location for weddings and other special occasions!
Hailing from the shores of White Rock BC, Shimona began with her first career working with individuals with special needs in home, school and community settings. She loves to educate, mentor and help others and is currently in training to become an instructor at J.C.I in their Hair Art Design program. Her mother Eve is her biggest influence, who showed her around her first camera and darkroom. The mantra she lives by is: "Don't Dream it, Be it." - Rocky Horror Picture Show.
Find Shimona on Instagram!
Curriculum Vitae (2013)
(Events, Production Sponsorship, Posters and Clients)
- the West Coast Tattoo and Culture Show
- the Taboo Naughty but Nice Sex Show (Vancouver and Abbotsford)
- the Langley Good-times Cruise-In
- World of Wheels
- Kitty Nights Burlesque
- Glamour Trash
- Sin City Fetish Night- Sex at the Circus
- Pandora and the Locksmiths
- the Rio Theatre
- Cabaret du Passe
- Hora Morior Productions
- Restricted Entertainment
- Cherry Velvet
- Dianne Kennedy
- Cheeki Cherry
- East Vanity Parlour
- Build Magazine
- Dr. Sketchy's Vancouver
- Lace Embrace Atelier
- Scout Boutique
- Wicked Purses
- New World Designs
- Vancouver Burlesque Centre
- Belle of the Brawl Nail Design
Art Shows and Galleries
- 2nd annual Monster Beach
- Hot Rods and Cool Broads 2 & 3
- I <3 Rock N Roll
- Low Brow on the High Seas 5
- 3rd Annual Ladies First
- The Dirty Show
- Girls! Girls! Girls!
- Wallflower Modern Diner
- Zombie Walk Art Show
- Hora Morior - Where Darkness Meets Creativity
- Ayden Gallery
- Gem Gallery
- Deadly Couture Fetish Show
- Sin City's 16 Deadly Sins Art Show
- Scout Boutique and gallery (ongoing)
- C'est la Vie Boutique
- The Fall Gallery
Publications & Television
- Shaw Cable's 'the Express'
- Java's Bachelor Pad Issue #8
- BeatRoute Magazine, cover '10
- Vintage Kittens Magazine Issues #4 & #5
- Canuck Deluxe (June '11)
- Delicious Dolls Magazine Issue #2
- Vancouver Sun (Style section, full page feature)
- Vancouver View Magazine
- Georgia Straight
- Urban Pie (cover)
- the Surrey Now
- the Peace Arch News (Cover, multiple issues)
- Vicious Bettys Magazine Issue #5
- The Pin-up Magazine November Issue
- Retro Lovely Magazine No. 6, No. 7, Taboo No.2, Taboo No. 3
- Drive-In Magazine Issue #2,3,4,6, "Forbidden Issue" and 2012 Calendar
- Radiant Inc Magazine (multiple issues)
- Atomic Bombshells Magazine Issue #1, #2, #3
- Sinical Issue #6
- Bella Morte Magazine
- Pinup Perfection Magazine (cover)
- Rabid Magazine (multiple issues)
- Scream Horror Magazine (cover)
- The Burlesque Bible Vol. 1
- Hobart Press, Australia
- Build Magazine (multiple centrefolds)
- Iiris Magazine, Finland
- The Cat's Meow Magazine (multiple issues)
(makeup artist/still photographer)
- Karma Inc. (makeup artist, special makeup effects artist)
- Howard and Betty (makeup artist, special makeup effects artist)
- Poe: Last Days of the Raven (assistant makeup artist)
- Sheltered Life (assistant makeup artist)
- "Pressure" - Swollen Members (makeup artist)
- Zombie Ritual (still photographer)
- Satan's Sideshow (still photographer)
- Drifting Through Silence (key makeup artist and still photographer)
- "Things Arn't What They Seem" - Patron Saint of Plagues
- "Taste the Barrel" - Big John Bates (key makeup artist and still photographer)